We cannot stress how important it is for you to NOT touch your piercing while it’s healing unless you are cleaning it. Most infections in new piercings are caused by bad aftercare and/or constant contact with grubby fingers. No piercing requires turning – no, not even lobe piercings. LEAVE THEM ALONE.
- WASH YOUR HANDS
- Grab a clean mug and pop in 1/4 teaspoon of SEA SALT (not table salt) and freshly boiled water.
- Allow it to cool to a comfortable temperature.
- Soak a wad of good quality kitchen towel in the solution and then place it over your piercing for a couple of minutes.
- Wipe away anything that has softened up and come away but DO NOT pick at anything. Little crusties etc will fall away when they are ready to.
- Rinse with fresh water.
Do this morning and night for 2 weeks. And remember, no grubby fingers in the mean time! 🙂
With tattoos, the main thing is to keep them clean and moisturised! You MUST resist the urge to scratch, peel or otherwise mess about with the healing skin.
- Keep the area covered with cling film for a couple of hours at least after your tattoo.
- When ready, remove this covering and give the area a gentle wash in warm water.
- Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a thin coat of tattoo aftercare product once an hour for the first 3 days, then use as needed.
- After a week, you may switch to a light, fragrance -free moisturiser.
- If you work in a dirty or dusty job, or have pets etc, it is best to re-wrap your tattoo in cling film as needed.
- And in the words of Baz Luhrmann – ‘USE SUNSCREEN’ – (at least Factor 30).
DON’T (for the first 4 weeks):
Soak it in the bath
Use sunbeds or tanning solutions on the affected area
Expose your tattoo to sun, sea, and/or sand
Do too much of a heavy workout at the gym